“Facebook was not originally created to be a company. It was built to accomplish a social mission – to make the world more open and connected.”
MTN Nigeria’s IPO aims to finalize at the end of 2018
MTN Nigeria’s CEO Rob Shuter announced in his speech that the company will finalize its IPO at the end of 2018 instead of the anticipated mid-2018. He stressed on the fact that MTN is doing very well with Nigeria listing and if market conditions are appropriate, MTN will close the deal.
The MTN group is also trying somehow to reassure the Ghanaian subsidiary, whose IPO is also scheduled for 2018 that the Introduction Ghana Stock Exchange is well advanced and that they will make a specific announcement in accordance with the schedule of the IPO of Accra Square. It should be noted that these MTN’s IPOs are expected to bring enough funding to finance its 5G investments in Africa and the Middle East.
PayPal Partners with Safaricom in Kenya
PayPal’s managing Director, Efi Dahan and Joseph Ogutu, Director of Strategy at Safaricom, announced with delight the signing of a partnership in Kenya on April 10, 2018. The partnership between PayPal and Safaricom will allow Kenyans to easily transfer money between their M-PESA and PayPal accounts. According to Efi Dahan, the collaboration is part of the company’s long-term strategy to enable e-commerce and the democratization of financial services on the African continent.
In the same vein, Joseph Ogutu sees this new development as an opening to a new era of speed and convenience across borders. They will work to develop innovative and robust platforms that enable entrepreneurs and consumers to benefit from international cash transfers and the growth of e-commerce. This eliminates the significant obstacles that have prevented consumers and businesses across the country from taking full advantage of global e-commerce.
China seems to be getting something really big from Pan African institutions
The magnificent edifice of the African Union (AU) headquarters in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, is a donation of China to the Pan African body. China has again announced another giant project for Africa. This time, it’s going to be a $32 million edifice in Abuja, Nigeria, as the new headquarters of ECOWAS. Following the agreement between China and ECOWAS, Beijing will fund and build the new headquarters and then maintain the building for three years after its completion.
While some ECOWAS citizens have described the donation, as a good initiative that will consolidate ECOWAS operations in one building from the three it now uses, others describe it as a gift with strings attached. This follows the recent accusation from the African Union that China had hacked its information system at the headquarters. As stated earlier, the headquarters of the AU is a $200 million infrastructure donation from China.
Submarine cable connects Cameroon with Brazil
In order to reinforce the great cooperation existing between Cameroon and Brazil, both governments have created a submarine cable, South Atlantic InterLink (SAIL). The cable will be the first submarine cable that will directly connect the African Continent to the south of America. The cable is related to a linear of 6 000 kilometers with a capacity of 32 terabits.
As part of the interconnection project, Cameroon’s Telecommunications giant (Camtel) announced the laying of the submarine cable, with commencement on the third week of April 2018. The entry into service of this cable might enable Camtel to boost its infrastructural capacities, thereby playing a leading role in the implantation of the digital economy towards which the nation is seeking. The French company, Nexans has received the contract t deploy the submarine cable.
Cameroon government targets tax revenues of FCFA 300 billion
The Cameroon government has taken upon itself the burden to develop the country’s digital economy. Consequently, she is also expecting to see a positive outcome in the country’s budget. Minister of Posts and Telecommunication, Minette Libom Li Likeng, notes that the Digital Strategy Plan for 2020 is expected to bring the average annual income of about 300 billion FCFA from various taxes.
In the wake of this growth, the government is expecting much revenue from the telecommunications sector. Comparing with 2016, the contribution in public finances is expected double from 5 to 10% in 2020. Meanwhile, the contribution has amounted to 136 billion FCFA, for the moment.
A Senate without an opposition Parliamentary group
Cameroon is gearing up to run a Senate without an opposition parliamentary group. The main opposition party the Social Democratic Front (SDF), is going to be represented by just 7 elected senators, who are not up to the parliamentary group of 10. They had depended on the benevolence of the President, Paul Biya, to help them form a parliamentary group, by appointing 3 of theirs among the 30 appointed senators.
Unfortunately, the president has sidelined the opposition. Mr. Biya, on Wednesday, recycled old guards of his CPDM party into the Senate to fill up the 30 Senatorial seats. This gives the ruling party a total of 89 senators, as against 11 for the opposition parties. It is, therefore, going to be an all CPDM senate, with the opposition watching from the sidelines. With this precedence set at the senatorial, is President Biya’s reelection in October a foregone conclusion?
Lawmakers still can’t figure out how to regulate Facebook
The federal government is already investigating Facebook in the wake of the Cambridge Analytica scandal. But how much further will it go to regulate it? Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg, started his two-day apology tour in DC on Tuesday where he addressed a room full of Senate Judiciary and Commerce Committee members who struggled to comprehend what Facebook really does. They also wanted to know how they could regulate it. What Facebook will do on its own will likely no longer be enough. Calls have grown for the government to try to rein in the social media giant.
Even Zuckerberg has acknowledged it might be time for regulators to step in. This is about Cambridge Analytica – the political consulting firm that got access to the personal data of up to 87 million Facebook users. Then used that info to make targeted political ads without users’ permission.
But, aside from Zuck flat-out denying that Facebook listens to your conversations, important questions about consumer data rights went largely unanswered – in part because they weren’t asked. Meanwhile, Cambridge Analytica began cleaning up its own mess, announcing their CEO would step down to “focus on the various technical investigations and inquiries.”
Apple caught up in a $503 million patent infringement battle
Finally, Western intervention looms in Syria
- Google Go launches in Nigeria and Sub-Saharan Africa to make search faster
- Where will crypto-nerds go now that Telegram is blocked in Russia?
- This blockchain-powered platform lets you enjoy live concerts — in virtual reality
- Before you invest in online farm crowdfunding platforms in Nigeria
- Mobile Money Innovation; A Threat to the African Banking Industry?
- Cameroon – Optical fiber: The submarine cable laying phase will begin in April 2018
- Cameroon: Government unveils terms of amendment signed with Orange Cameroon
- Cloudflare launches Spectrum to protect almost anything connected to the Internet
- Firefox for iPhones now stops websites from tracking you
- What Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg did and didn’t answer
- African Union, i4policy to hold African hub gathering in Kigali
- Is the new FarePay card a safe way to pay for BRT transport?
- Nigeria’s Wennovation Hub launches agri-tech accelerator
- Attend the Douala Legal Tech Forum at Hotel Sawa 488 Rue de Verdun Douala, Littoral; from 30th May 9am-31st May 8 pm.
- Get a chance to meet the Top 10 Customer Experience Firms in Cameroon share their story at the Cameroon Customer Experience summit 2018, on May 12, 2018, 9am-5pm WAT. At St David-Douala.
- Are you interested in digital training? Don’t miss out the Training on Digital Communication-session 4 coming up on Saturday, April 28th 9:30 am – Saturday 26th, May 2018, 4:00 PM. At Boulevard de la Liberte, Douala.
- Don’t miss out on the exclusive Cameroonian event where opportunities for Cameroonians in technology will be launched in the Cameroon Digital: Thought Leaders Luncheon on April 16 from 11:00-15:00 WAT, at Douala, Littoral.
- Get a platform for discussions on issues affecting the African continent and proper solutions, during the Ghana Nigeria Youth Summit on Saturday, April 28, 2018, from 10 AM – 3 PM PDT. At the Onikan Youth Center, Lagos.
- Grab an amazing opportunity to meet Human Resources Professionals in the Workshop on Writing HR Policies and Procedures, on the 12th -16th November 2018, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. at HCA Learning Centre. Acme Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos or MAAS Central Hotel, Eastern Bye Pass, Old GRA, Port Harcourt.Nig.
- Get resources to empower your goals in the Houston Spring Breakthrough: Free Advocare Training Event on April 21st 10:00 am – 2:00 pm at Life Church 9901 Windmill Lakes Houston, United States.
- Don’t miss out on the symposium in Project Management PMI Levis– Quebec 2018 on the 18 and 19 of April 8:00 – 5:00 pm at Avenue du Seminaire, Quebec Canada.
- Public Services International is in need of a Human Resources Personal in France. Closing date: 29 April 2018.
- Apply for the post of a National Consultant at UN Children’s Fund. Yaounde-Cameroon. Deadline: 26 April 2018.
- The service of a Deputy chief of party is needed by Chemonics Senegal. Closing date: 20 April 2018.
- Apply as an Administrative Assistant at Wellcome Trust. In Kilifi-Kenya. Deadline: 27 April 2018.
- Global Alliance for improved nutrition is in need of a Project Manager in Abuja – Nigeria. Closing date: 10 May.
- INTERSOS is in need of a Project Manager – Protection – Cameroon in Cameroon. Deadline: 25 April 2018.
- Grab the opportunity to attend the 2018 enpact Mentoring initiative for young Entrepreneurs from Africa ( Funded to Berlin, Germany). Application Deadline: April 15, 2018 for West and East Africa startups.
- Do you have an innovative idea capable of driving positive change in Africa, apply for the Africa Innovation Summit 2018, to take place from June 6-8, 2018 at Kigali, Rwanda
- Applications are open for Ashoka Social Investment Accelerator Programme 2018 for Social Entrepreneurs from North, East or Southern Africa (fully funded). Deadline: April 16, 2018.
- Apply for the 2018 Queen Elizabeth Prize for Innovation in Engineering (1 million euro). Deadline 18 May 2018.
- Participate in the 2018 Johnson & Johnson One Young World Program (Fully Funded in the Hague, The Netherlands), from July 2018 – January 2018. Deadline 8 May 2018
- Apply for the Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) 2018/2019 Overseas Postgraduate (Msc$ Ph.D.) scholarship scheme for study in the United Kingdom (Fully Funded). Application Deadline: April 28th, 2018.
- Don’t miss out on the World Trade Organization ( WTO) Young Professionals Programme 2019 (CHF 3,500 Monthly salary). Application Deadline: April 16, 2018.
- Apply for the Singapore – ICAO Developing Countries Training Programme 2018/2019. Scholarships for study in Singapore (Fully Funded).
- Grab the amazing opportunity of being a participant in the Unesco International Youth Forum on Creativity and Heritage along the Silk Roads 2(Funded to China), from 21-27 May 2018.
- Apply now for this great opportunity for Applicants In Cameroon- UNICAF Scholarship can become a platform for your success.
- Join the Youth Citizen Entrepreneurship Competition 2018 for young people around the world. Deadline: July 31, 2018.
- Science Has Confirmed That Honesty Really is the Best Policy in the Workplace
- How to Make the Most of the Talent on Your Team
- Hit ‘Refresh’ on That Stale Sales Cycle and Never Miss Your Numbers Again
- After 90 Meetings in 90 Days, These Founders Finally Found Their Customer
- If You’re Not Asking Yourself This Simple Question, This Longtime Founder Says You’re Toast
- Robert Herjavec’s Do’s and Don’ts: From Cryptocurrency to Cyber Hygiene
- Mindfulness Isn’t Just a Trend, It’s Key to Being a Better Leader
- Do You Have These 3 Characteristics of Success?
- 5 Tips on How to Successfully Market to Millennial Moms
Recommend0 recommendationsPublished in