Nigeria’s Paystack partners with Truecaller for secure payments
Nigerian startup, Paystack has partnered Swedish caller ID firm Truecaller to allow more merchants across Africa to accept payments online in a frictionless and secure manner by leveraging Truecallerâ€™s mobile identity product Truecaller SDK.
The partnership will also provide powerful tools that businesses and startups across Africa can use to verify the mobile identity of their customers, and in turn, further help in creating more trust in the online payments landscape on the continent. Previously, all merchants that used Paystack, which processes nearly 20%t of all online transactions in Nigeria, had to be registered with various regulatory bodies. The partnership with Truecaller means they can now verify their mobile identity via Truecaller SDK.
Integrating Truecallerâ€™s mobile number identity product as a verification mechanism strengthens the Paystack platformâ€™s merchant verification process and makes it possible to open up Paystack to millions of unregistered businesses who were previously unable to accept online payments with using the startupâ€™s platf
This partnership with Truecaller allows Paystack to deliver on our promise of trust as well as a frictionless experience. We want to be able to guarantee that all businesses paid via Paystack are thoroughly checked for legitimacy and credibility. In a low-trust environment like Nigeria where many people are paying online for the first time, itâ€™s important to deliver a safe, fraud-free experience, and this is a responsibility that Paystack takes extremely seriously.â€ Said Paystack CEO, Shola Akinlade.
Paystack will also use Truecaller as a verification option for local developers and startups who want to verify the identity of their own customers on Paystackâ€™s developer platform.
Microsoft founder and erstwhile CEO promises to improve healthcare in Nigeria
Bill Gates, philanthropist and founder of the Microsoft Corporation arrived Nigeria on Thursday to see the first-hand progress the country is making on primary healthcare provision, polio eradication, nutrition and financial inclusion.
Through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the billionaire has invested over $9 billion in 45 African countries to reduce poverty and improve healthcare. Speaking at the National Economic Council in Abuja on Thursday, Bill Gates poked some obvious holes in the Nigerian economy.
Bill Gates has reportedly revealed plans to pay off Nigeriaâ€™s $76 million loan taken from Japan to aid the fight against polio.
Boko Haram receives hilarious welcome from locals as they returned kidnapped Dapchi School Girls
About 104 out of 110 schoolgirls recently kidnapped by Boko Haram in Northern Nigeria in February, were returned to their families on Wednesday March 21st 2018. The Islamist terrorists are reported to have received a hilarious welcome from the local population as they drove into the town in a convoy and dropped the girls before taking off back to their base unperturbed.
Unfortunately, of the returnees, five girls were confirmed dead while one is still in keeping of the terrorist group. The release of the girls came barely a week after President Muhammadu Buhari paid a visit to the affected school, where he met with the parents and promised to secure the release of their children.
The released girls were later received by the President at the Aso Rock Presidential Villa. The girls, many of them dressed in matching fawn-coloured long hijabs, boarded a Nigerian military transport plane from the Borno state capital Maiduguri to Abuja on Wednesday night.
CEMAC could be out of danger
Finally, CEMAC is gradually recovering from a difficult 2017 economic growth with a -0.1% GPD. At the end of a monetary policy committee meeting that was held in Yaounde on the March 21, 2018, the governor of BEAC, Mr. Abbas Mahamat Tolli, said, â€œWe are out of the danger zone. The economic environment is much better but the economies remain weak. This explains the various measures we are adopting.â€
According to the governor, the slight improvement of the economy is due to the increase in commodity prices on the international market and the production of crude oil. This year, BEAC forecasts a 2.1% in GPD against the -0% recorded in 2017. In the same document, it reveals that the inflationary pressure should stand at 1.8% against a community standard of 3%. As far as the external coverage rate of the currency whose fall led to fears of depreciation some months ago, it will rise to 64.2% from 57.5% in 2017. Â
However, the question many are asking is, will it get back into the danger zone this year, or make enormous progress by 2018 ending?
Tunisian Road Engineer Dies in bloody battle between government and separatist-forces
The Cameroonian army within the week succeeded in releasing three hostages in the politically unstable Anglophone region of the South West. The three include a Tunisian and two Cameroonians, employees of a road construction company abducted by English-speaking separatists on March 15. According to Cameroonâ€™s Minister of Communication, Issa Tchiroma, the operation that took the life of a Tunisian engineer, also led to the dead of four of the hostage takers.
â€œOur armed forces fought a battle during which they liberated those of our Tunisian compatriots and friends who were taken hostage by the terroristsâ€¦ unfortunately, on the occasion of this event, a Tunisian technician lost his life, but we saved another Tunisian technician and two Cameroonians,â€ he noted.
The three rescued hostages were flown to YaoundÃ© as the Cameroonian government commiserated with the Tunisian government for the lost.
Many people have questioned why the government decided to engage the separatists in a gun battle to save the hostages knowing fully well that it could even lead to the dead of all the hostages.
Facebook loses $36 billion in market cap following user data scandal
Last Saturday, Christopher Wylie a whistle-blower told The Guardian how Facebook data of 50 million American voters was harvested without their permission. And Facebook knew about this but failed to do anything about it. The data was taken by Cambridge Analytica, a data analysis firm and used to target voters during the last US elections. Christopher used to be an employee of Cambridge Analytica.
Facebookâ€™s stock took a beating as a result, falling nearly 7%. The social giant quickly banned Cambridge Analytica from its platform. But it seems the entire tech sector took a hit as well. After the announcement, Google shares went down 4%, Amazon down by 2.42%, and Apple dropping by 2%.
Facebook however maintains that Cambridge Analyticaâ€™s data harvesting was not a user privacy breach because â€œeveryone involved gave their consent.â€ As Facebook nurses its $36 billion wounds, it is currently working to repair investor confidence.
Google launches a $300-million initiative to help news publishers get it right
Google announced they are launching the Google News Initiative (GNI) in an effort to assist journalism in the age of fake news. Over the next three years, the tech giant will put more than $300 million towards building products that help create sustainable business models for news outlets while hoping to elevate quality journalism.
Until recently, Google, Facebook, and Twitter have endured intense (and just) scrutiny by allowing the spread of false and sometimes, malevolent information that may have even influenced political elections. Last week, Facebook was caught in a furious kerfuffle following a whistleblowerâ€™s account of the social media giant allegedly selling 50 million + usersâ€™ data to an analytics firm working for the Trump campaign at the time of the election
On Monday, the scandal caused shares of the entire tech sector to plummet on Wall Street. In other words, Googleâ€™s timing on this announcement couldnâ€™t have been better.
Twitter joins the crypto crackdown
Shortly after the ban by Facebook and Google, Twitter has finally joined the bandwagon. On Tuesday, the microblogging platform announced it was banning crypto ads. While these social media moves are steady trying to discredit crypto, Bloomberg reported that Cryptokitties, a blockchain-based game spinoff has raised $12 million from Andreessen Horowitz and other investors.
On Wednesday, the BBC reported on how a 15-year-old boy hacked a â€˜hack proofâ€™ ledger hardware wallet. He says the devices are still vulnerable, but according to CoinTelegraph, the companyâ€™s devs deny it.
- Elon Musk Just Deleted His Facebook Account
- Cambridge Analytica says itâ€™s conducting a third-party audit over Facebook data
- Elon Musk has removed Tesla and SpaceXâ€™s Facebook pages after Twitter challenge
- Facebook hit with four lawsuits in one week over Cambridge Analytica scandal
- Sonos is pulling its ads off Facebook and Instagram, but only for a week
- Internet-connected wine bottle startup KuvÃ©e is shutting down
- Apple may be making a foldable iPhone within the next two years
- Get Â a chance to meet 50 most influential young cameroonians during the awards ceremony and official ranking announcements taking place on sunday 8th April, 2018 at 5pm- 9pm at Banquet Hall,Chariot Hotel, Buea.
- Dont miss out on the exclusive cameroonian event where opportunities for Cameroonians in technology will be launched in the Cameroon Digital: Thought Leaders Luncheon on April 16 from 11:00-15:00 WAT, at Douala,Littoral.
- Get a platform for discussions on issues affecting the African continent and proper solutions, during the Ghana Nigeria Youth Summit on Saturday, April 28, 2018 from 10AM-3PM PDT. At the Onikan Youth Center, Lagos.
- Grab an amazing opportunity to meet Human Resources Professionals in the Workshop on Writing HR Policies and Procedures, on the 12th-16th Â November , 2018, 9am-5pm. At HCA Learning Centre. Acme Road, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos or MAAS Central Hotel, Eastern Bye Pass, old GRA,Port Harcourt.Nig.
- Attend the â€œCezanne Portraitsâ€ Exhibit opening at the NGA- on March 25th 2018 at 10:30am-12pm.
- Dont miss out on the Cameroon Customer Experience Summit 2018, on May 12th, at ST DAVID-DOUALA.
- Be a participant in the Seminar on Intellectual Property Rights on April 13th, 2018, 2pm. Top left floor, 1st Trust Building, Buea. 654571447.
- Get a job as an accountant in ISSTY (Lâ€™ Institut Superieur des Sciences et des Techniques de Yaounde. Deadline April. 15.
- Apply as EID Intern at GE- Yaounde Cameroon.
- Graphic designer-Douala ( lâ€™ Arrondissement de Douala 2eme).
- A Camp Coordination and Camp Management senior officer is needed in Garowe-Somalia. Deadline 6 April 2018.
- The African Agricultural Technology Foundation is in need of a Head of Finance in Nairobi – Kenya. Closing date: 6 April 2018.
- The Â International Rescue Committee is in need of a Senior Programme Development Advisor Specialist in London– United Kingdom. Closing date: Â 8 April 2018.
- Apply as an Administrative Officer in Tunis- Tunisia. Deadline 10 April 2018.
- Do you have an innovative idea capable of driving positive change in Africa, appply for the Africa Innovation Summit, 2018, to take place from June 6-8, 2018 at Kigali, Rwanda.
- Be part of the ASC Leiden Visiting Fellowship Programme 2018/2019 for Africanists.( Fully Funded to China) from 21-27 May 2018.
- Applications are open for Ashoka Social Investment Accelerator Programme 2018 for Social Entrepreneurs from North, East or Southern Africa (fully funded). Deadline : April 16, 2018.
- Apply for the Singapore- ICAO Developing Countries Training Programme 2018/2019. Scholarships for study in Singapore (Fully Funded).
- Grab the amazing opportunity of being a participant in the Unesco International Youth Forum on Creativity and Heritage along the Silk Roads 2(Funded to China), from 21-27 May 2018.
- Join the Youth Citizen Entrepreneurship Competition 2018 for young people around the world. deadline : July 31st 2018.
- Apply now for this great opportunity for Applicants In Cameroon- UNICAF Scholarship can become a platform for your success.
- While online,you can make revenue and top-up market value. Join the ongoing Digital Marketing WordPress Course at Jongo Hub from March 19-24, 2018 from 3pm-5pm. For more information, contact 6 74 089 565.
- Think Your Company Needs A Data Scientist? Youâ€™re Probably Wrong
- Branding Boot Camp: How to Develop Your Brand Strategy
- How These Entrepreneurs Use Feedback and Honesty to Build a Thriving Business
- Is There Life After Amazon Go for Your Local Retail Cashier? 4 Lessons This Technology Offers
- 5 Blockchain Innovations Wall Street Is Watching in 2018
- This Introverted Entrepreneur With an Oprah-Approved Brand Shares How to Rise Above Fear to Embrace Every Opportunity
- How Even the Smallest Startups Can Project a Professional Image