#Google Code Jam is here again! The 2016 edition application deadline is around the corner, and that’s an opportunity right there. Write some code, win the $15,000 USD, invest the money in your startup or buy a
private jet, sorry, private drone.
Okay, let’s get serious. What is Google Code Jam?
The Google Code Jam is a programming competition in which professional and student programmers solve complex algorithmic challenges in a limited amount of time.
Started in 2003, the competition facilitates the identification of top engineering talent for potential employment at Google. It consists of a set of algorithmic problems which must be solved in a fixed amount of time. It is at the discretion of competitors to use any programming language and development environment to obtain their solutions.
What’s involved in Code Jam:
– A 27-hour Online qualification Round taking place on April 8, 2016 @ 23:00 UTC.
– Multiple online rounds.
– The chance to win one of 25 spots at the World Finals on August 5, 2016 held at the Google office in New York, New York.
– A grand prize of $15,000 and earning the title of 2016 Code Jam world Champion.
What the benefits are:
– Travel Expenses. As a finalist, certain expenses related to your travel to and participation in the final round shall be paid by Google. You must submit to Google or its designated agent within 45 days after the final round any eligible expenses you want reimbursed with detailed receipts and any documentation demanded by Google, or else you loose benefiting reimbursement. All other expenses are your full responsibility.
– Visa. You shall be responsible for obtaining your own visa prior to arrival to the final round; however, you shall receive reimbursement from Google for any visa application fee and up to $100 USD in travel expenses incurred each way in obtaining the visa. Google will not reimburse any fees or expenses related to obtaining a passport.
– Flight. If you make it to the finals, you will receive round-trip coach class air transportation from the major airport nearest your residence on a flight chosen by Google. If you want to fly from an airport other than the major airport nearest your residence or on a flight other than the flight selected by Google, you will have to pay for the extra cost.
– Accommodations. Finalist shall receive hotel accommodations for a hotel of Google’s choice for the duration of the final round.
– Meals. As a finalist, Google will reimburse you for the cost of your meals up to $30 USD per day on days you are traveling to and from Contest and up to $60 USD per day on non-travel days during the final round.
|Tuesday, March 8, 2016
Ends: Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 02:00 UTC
|19:00 UTC||32d 7hr||Registration|
|Friday, April 8, 2016||23:00 UTC||27hr||Qualification Round|
|Saturday, April 16, 2016||01:00 UTC||2hr 30min||Online Round 1: Sub-Round A|
|Saturday, April 30, 2016||16:00 UTC||2hr 30min||Online Round 1: Sub-Round B|
|Sunday, May 8, 2016||09:00 UTC||2hr 30min||Online Round 1: Sub-Round C|
|Saturday, May 28, 2016||14:00 UTC||2hr 30min||Online Round 2|
|Sunday, May 29, 2016||14:00 UTC||3hr||Distributed Code Jam Online Round 1|
|Saturday, June 11, 2016||14:00 UTC||2hr 30min||Online Round 3|
|Sunday, June 12, 2016||14:00 UTC||3hr||Distributed Code Jam Online Round 2|
|Friday, August 5, 2016||16:30 UTC||4hr||Onsite Finals|
|Saturday, August 6, 2016||16:30 UTC||4hr||Distributed Code Jam Onsite Finals|
Lots of prizes are available for the competition and include:
– Code Jam T-Shirt
– Code Jam Cash Prizes (1st place; $15,000, 2nd place; $2,000, 3rd place; $1,000, 4th-26th place; $100 USD).
Register before the Online Qualification Round on April 8 at 23:00 UTC.