TechCrunch is bringing its Startup Battlefield to Africa for the first time, sponsored by Facebook.
TechCrunch is a leading technology media property, dedicated to obsessively profiling startups, reviewing new Internet products, and breaking tech news. TechCrunch’s Startup Battlefield is the world’s preeminent startup competition. The Battlefield features 15-30 top early stage startups pitching top judges in front of a vast live audience, present in person and online.
The African version of the competition will be called TechCrunch Startup Battlefield Africa 2017 and it will go down in Nairobi, Kenya on October 11, 2017.
Why should you participate in the Startup Battlefield Africa?
Apart from the exposure that comes from pitching to the global TechCrunch audience as well as distinguished technologists, entrepreneurs, and investors live in Nairobi, the overall winner will receive $25,000 in no-equity cash plus an all-expense paid trip for two to San Francisco to compete in Battlefield at TechCrunch’s flagship event, Disrupt SF 2018.
How can you participate in Startup Battlefield Africa?
Startups must fit into one of three categories:
- Social good; Startups with the product most likely to catalyze social development through technology.
- Productivity and utility; Startups with the product or service most likely to go into full commercial production and have the biggest impact on human potential and/or the largest exit.
- Gaming and entertainment; Startups with the product or service most likely to see wide consumer adoption and have either the biggest exit and/or impact on gaming and entertainment.
Five startups in each category will be selected at the Battlefield Africa in Nairobi.
Apart from clear relevance to one of the three themes above, qualifying startups should:
- Be early-stage companies in “launch” stage
- Be a resident of eligible countries
- Have a fully working product/beta, reasonably close to or in production
- Have received limited press or publicity to date
- Have no known intellectual property conflicts
When is the Application Deadline?
July 14th, 2017 at 1 PM GMT+1 and finalists (five in each category) will be notified by August 21, 2017.
For more information, visit TechCrunch Africa